***ENTRY FORMS AND FOOD PERMITS ARE DUE FRIDAY, SEPT. 22ND***
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for a PDF
Chili Fest 2017 Entry Form
September 30, 2017
Lea County Event Center
25th United Way Chili Festival Entry Form
FOOD PERMITS; Pick up at 2120 N. Alto Suite 105 or download a PDF application from www.env.nm.gov (Permits & Licenses/Food/Application:Temporary Food) complete and hand deliver to 2120 N. Alto Suite 105, Hobbs, New Mexico 88240, or email to email@example.com
Permits must be obtained prior to the event. Food Permit Questions? Call 575-361-1203
Company/Team Name: ____________________________________ Number of team members: ___________
Mailing Address: ____________________________________________________________________________
Contact Person/Team Captain: __________________________________________________________________
Telephone Number: (B)___________________ (C)___________________ Fax Number: __________________
E-mail Address: _________________________________________________
Your team is not required to enter in the competition.
CASI cookers are not eligible to compete in the local competition.
Categories to be entered: ($20.00 entry fee for each category entered)
Chili ribs brisket Chicken Dessert ($20.00 for each dessert entered)
Open Category (indicate below – example sausage, beans, etc.):
Number of items entered_____________ Total Amount Due (@ $20.00 per category) $______________
Category entry fees will be disbursed as follows: Local Category-All fees to United Way of Lea County.
Please forward completed entry forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or fax to 575-397-6618. Entry fees may be mailed to Lea County State Bank, P.O. Box 400, Hobbs, New Mexico 88241-0400, attention Dickie Wall. ALL ENTRY FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5:00 PM , SEPTEMBER 22, 2017.
** It will be each team’s responsibility to furnish their own electricity if needed.
THE EVENT WILL NOT HAVE POWER AVAILABLE.
Will your team include an RV? Yes No If yes, please describe: (ie 5th wheel, camper trailer, generator, approximate length, etc..)______________________________________________________________________
Please reserve ___________(enter number of spaces, spaces approx. 10’ wide) for my team. A copy of the team site location map will be available as early as possible.
Will your team have a game or activity included with your booth? Yes No If yes, please describe:
Should you need further information, please contact Dickie Wall at 575-397-6603 or e-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines for Chili Cook-off and Showmanship Competition
· Categories will be:
· Chili – Awards will be given to the 1st thru 5th place winners
Ribs, Brisket, Chicken, Desert and an open category for items such as sausage, BBQ, Beans, etc. - Awards will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.
· A $20.00 entry fee for each item in each category entered. (Make all checks payable to United Way of Lea County)
· Cook-off is on Saturday, September 30, 2017 at the Lea County Event Center. Map of team locations to be supplied before the event.
FOOD PERMITS; Pick up at 2120 N. Alto Suite 105 Hobbs, NM 88240 or download a PDF application from www.env.nm.gov (Permits & Licenses/Food/Application/Temporary Food) complete and hand deliver to 2120 N Alto Suite 105 Hobbs, NM 88240, or email to email@example.com
Permits must be obtained prior to the event. Questions? Call 575-631-1203
· Mandatory Head Cook’s meeting at 8:00 a.m. – location will be announced day of festival.
· Turn in schedule for judging is as follows:
1. Open – 11:00 a.m.
2. Ribs – 11:30 a.m.
3. Chili & Chicken – 12:00 p.m.
4. Brisket: 12:30 p.m.
5. Desserts – 1:00 p.m.
6. CASI Chili – 1:00 p.m.
· Food items are to be sold for tickets, cash is not acceptable. Tickets may be purchased at the various locations at the event. Tickets will be sold for $1.00 each.
· CASI cookers are not eligible to compete in local competition.
· Prizes for food items will be awarded at approximately 3 p.m.
· People’s choice award will be awarded to the team who raises the most money. Showmanship award will be chosen by Showmanship Judges.
· Environmental rules and Hobbs Fire Department Vendor Requirements must be followed. (Rules & Requirements attached)
· Other food such as burritos, brisket, cobbler, etc. for sale is encouraged. Drinks sold must be a Coca Cola product. A Coke trailer will be on site with drinks to be sold.
· Tables and chairs will be available to borrow if they are cleaned and returned as long as the supply last.
· This is a fundraiser to benefit the United Way of Lea County. No outside fundraising activities will be permitted. For-profit vendors will not be allowed.
· No alcoholic beverages will be allowed!
BASIC CHILI COOKING RULES (FOR CONTEST CHILI)
CHILI MUST BE:
A. Cooked in the open, on-site the day of the cook-off
B. Prepared from scratch (no commercial chili mixes)
C. May contain fillers (beans, macaroni, rice, hominy, etc.)
D. Prepared in a sanitary manner.
CHILI JUDGING CRITERIA
Chili should LOOK GOOD, SMELL GOOD AND TASTE GOOD! Chili will be blind judged on the following criteria:
AROMA – Chili should smell appetizing
CONSISTENCY – Chili should be a smooth combination of meat and gravy
COLOR – Chili should look good
TASTE – Above all else, chili should taste good!
AFTERTASTE – Chili should have a pleasant taste after swallowing
SHOWMANSHIP WILL BE JUDGED ON:
THEME, COSTUME, BOOTH SETUP, ACTION, AUDIENCE APPEAL
Battery-powered amplification may be used with limited volume so as not to interfere with surrounding contestants. Decision of volume shall be at the discretion of the official monitoring. No firearms, explosives, or noise producing pyrotechnics are allowed. Please remember that only family appropriate entertainment will be allowed.
PEOPLE’S CHOICE WILL BE JUDGED ON:
The team collecting the highest dollar amount.
GUIDELINES FOR TEMPORARY FOOD OR DRINK SERVICE
Please be advised that to comply with the Environment Department for temporary food or drink service the following guidelines have been typed in brief, please consult with NM Environmental Department for the full requirements:
FOOD PERMITS MUST BE OBTAINED PRIOR TO THE EVENT
ENVIRONMENT DEPARTMENT IS LOCATED IN SUITE 160, 726 E. MICHIGAN
1. The preparation of potentially hazardous food should be restricted to simple foods, requiring limited preparation such as seasoning and cooking. Meat must be a purchased product from a store and not a custom slaughter. Packaging of meat should be kept for possible inspection. Food should be served in individual servings with single service utensils (if needed), stored in approved facilities and maintained at safe temperatures (cold – 45 degrees F or below, hot – 140 degrees F or above).
2. All food should be covered/protected from flies and other potential diseased vectors.
3. Eating, drinking, and smoking are not allowed in the food booths.
4. To prevent contamination all persons working in the temporary food or drink service area, with equipment and food – should keep contact surfaces clean and sanitary.
5. Three pans of water should be available for hand washing and for cleaning utensils and equipment. One clear water, one bleach water (50 PPM concentration), and one soapy water. Liquid waste and gray water must be disposed of in such a manner that is not to create an environmental hazard. Sanitizer/Chlorine test stripes on site.
Thanks for your participation!
Have a great time!
Remember that by donating to the United Way, you are making a difference in the lives of thousands of your friends and neighbors.